• Freelance Science Writer
Pitch, research, and write stories about science.
• Writing Intern, Science News
October 2009-May 2010
Reported and wrote stories for Science News‘s website and magazine.
• Writing Intern, New Scientist
June 2009-September 2009
Reported and wrote stories for New Scientist‘s website and magazine, primarily about space and physics.
• Writing Intern, Wired.com
March 2009-June 2009
Reported and wrote stories for Wired Science.
• Writing Intern, SLAC National Accelerator Lab
January 2009-March 2009
• Writing Intern, Santa Cruz Sentinel
September 2008-December 2008
Reported and wrote news stories local to Santa Cruz, CA.
• Student, SETI Institute Research Experience for Undergraduates
Edited sound files and formulated interview questions for SETI’s radio program, “Are We Alone?”
Wrote an article for space.com about the REU experience.
• Staff Writer, Cornell Daily Sun
September 2006-May 2008
Reported and wrote articles based on published research and interviews with faculty and students.
Wrote a continuing series on the Arecibo Observatory funding crisis.
Covered Cornell events, including lectures and memorial services.
• SETI Institute Research Experience for Undergraduates
Calculated the expected depth of Europa’s surface layer from data on crater size and density, and analyzed the implications for astrobiology. Resulted in two published abstracts.
• Cornell University, Department of Astronomy
Collaborated with Dr. James F. Bell III in Cornell’s Marslab.
Analyzed Martian soil composition using images taken by the panoramic camera (Pancam) on the Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity. Resulted in a published abstract.
Calibrated images taken by rovers Spirit and Opportunity.
• University of California at Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, CA
Class of 2009
Graduate Certificate in Science Writing
Honors/Awards: Achievement Rewards for College Scientists, Graduate Fellowship
• Cornell University, College of Arts & Sciences, Ithaca, NY
Graduated May 2008
Bachelor of Arts in Astronomy
Cumulative GPA: 3.61
Honors/Awards: Dean’s List: Fall 2005, Spring 2007, Spring 2008
· Relevant coursework:
Science Writing Practicum, Spring 2008
Public Communication of Science and Technology, Spring 2008
Science Writing for Mass Media, Fall 2007
Nonfiction Adventure Writing: Reclaiming the Scientist’s Voice, Spring 2005